• October 16Girls' cross country finishes fourth at regional; advances to semi-state

• October 16Boys' cross country finishes fifth at regional; advances to semi-state

• October 16Football falls to LaPorte, 36-33

The student news site of Portage High School

The Pow Wow

Portage Relative Affected by Hurricane Harvey

Kaylee Darnell, Design Editor

Hurricane Harvey is a category 4 hurricane that formed on Aug. 25, and is still currently active in southeastern Texas.

Harvey developed from a tropical wave east of the Lesser Antilles, crossed through the Windward Islands, went south of Barbados, and then entered the Caribbean Sea.

Harvey later made landfall near Rockport, Texas.

Junior Jackie Alaniz has family in Texas who are currently being affected by the hurricane and the flood there.

“My cousins Nikki and Cameron and their children live in Houston, Texas, and had to evacuate their home,” Alaniz said, “and I believe they are currently staying with other family in other parts of Texas.”

Alaniz said they had to pack up their most important things and valuables and leave instantly. She also states that they left behind many belongings and pictures at their house.

Alaniz hasn’t talked to them much, only here and there on Facebook, but her family was able to make sure they were safe and that everyone was okay.

“Thankfully no one was harmed and they are all currently safe with where they are staying, but they can’t go back to their house anytime soon,” Alaniz said.

While the storm has since dissolved, another series of hurricanes are forming in the Atlantic. Hurricane Irma is schedule to make landfall in Florida later this week.