• October 16Girls' cross country finishes fourth at regional; advances to semi-state

• October 16Boys' cross country finishes fifth at regional; advances to semi-state

• October 16Football falls to LaPorte, 36-33

The student news site of Portage High School

The Pow Wow

Filed under News

Portage to host art festival

Portage High School will be hosting an art festival from 12:30 p.m. until 2:30 p.m. on Monday.

Students will miss mods nine and ten for the festival, which includes music, virtual reality systems, and other art festivities.

“High School Nation is the largest touring art festival in the country,” head principal Max Gill said. “They cater to promote the arts in high schools.”

The organization, which is centered around music and the arts, visits high schools across the country every year.

Portage is one of four schools in the Indiana that High School Nation will be visiting this year.

“I’ve been working on this for about three months,” Gill said. “In July, I received an email from them, offering to come here, and we’ve been in negotiations including the administration building over there since.”

The group is also entirely funded by advertisers. This year, they are sponsored by Sparkling Ice and Takis.

According to Gill, Portage does not have to pay anything for High School Nation to come here. In fact, the organization will donate approximately $30,000 to the school for a new recording studio.

“[The recording studio] will probably go in the music hallway; it will hopefully be mobile so we can roll it around if needed,” Gill said.

The event starts at 12:30 p.m., and takes place on the practice soccer fields. As for the students who have eighth mod lunch, they will be dismissed as soon as they are done eating. As the event ends at 2:30, students will be released to buses, cars and after school activities.

The festival will be centered around music.

“They’re going to have music, a music stage, hosting up and coming acts,” Gill said. “Drake Bell will be the featured performer.”

The festival will also have different booths set up, each with their own attraction.

“Besides music, there’s going to be tents set up to where you can silkscreen shirts, silkscreen hats, there’ll be a VR tent set up, you’ll be able to play instruments while you’re there, just a lot of artsy things,” Gill said. “Whether you want to go around and play with the different art stuff or you want to go listen to some bands, I think it’s going to be a very great time for everybody.”

Just as exciting as the event, all students will be allowed to use their phones for the duration of the time the school is outside.

“Everybody should be very excited because very few high schools get to do this,” Gill said. “I think that it’s going to be a great thing for Portage, and everybody will have fun. PHS should be proud that they chose us to host this.”