The student news site of Portage High School

The Pow Wow

Cross Country Teams Traveling Across State to Run

Jamie Valadez, Staff Writer

Portage’s cross country runners will be spending a lot of time traveling to their meets this season instead of competing at home.  Every meet that was scheduled for the runners will take place away from home. There are no meets on the home course for the runners, and they have had to travel to every race.

Freshman Madison McCulloch is enjoying her first year as a varsity runner and thinks that being away can be challenging at times.

“There are some difficulties of knowing where to go if you’ve never been there before,” said McCulloch.

The runners compete on a 3.1 mile course, and each of them are very different.

Sophomore Tommy Elwood thinks that being away isn’t so bad since he’s already ran the courses before. Elwood has been running for Portage since he was in the sixth grade.

“We ran all the courses last year, so it’s good to have the experience and to know what’s coming next,” Elwood said.

Senior Raul Cervantes thinks that being away can be a disadvantage because of the lack of support.

“I don’t think we have an advantage, because it was nice seeing our own fans cheering us on at DAC. It really motivated us even more, but this year it’s not like that. I feel like being away from our home course pushes us to make a name for ourselves,” Cervantes said.

Besides not having any meets on the home course, the boys and girls teams have great chemistry.

“Everyone on the team gets along very well with each other. We mess around and joke around but at the same time we get our work done,” Elwood said.

Although the practices are difficult on some days, they are all so important because it’s crucial to be good, according to Elwood.

Overall, despite the practices with long mileage and every course being away from home, the runners all have one common goal and that is to get more support from Portage students.

“Come support Portage cross country; not many people are at our meets. Sunset Hill Park isn’t that far away and that’s where sectionals is, so come on out and support us the week of sectionals,” Elwood said.

The team keeps working hard in hopes of getting as much support from the students as possible.