• October 16Girls' cross country finishes fourth at regional; advances to semi-state

• October 16Boys' cross country finishes fifth at regional; advances to semi-state

• October 16Football falls to LaPorte, 36-33

The student news site of Portage High School

The Pow Wow

Portage High School Homecoming 9-22-17

Becca Rosado, Staff Writter

Portage beat Chesterton on Friday, 31-21, in the 2017 Homecoming game. On Friday, September 22, Portage  held their homecoming game. The game was held at home against the Chesterton Trojans. Portage also crowned their Homecoming queen and Mr. Football.

This year Mr. Football was senior Drake Guerrero, and Homecoming queen was senior Jamie Valadez. Both Guerrero and Valadez are very involved in extracurricular activities at PHS. Guerrero is in the National Honor Society and Valadez is an active member in Student Council.

The homecoming game was one to remember for most. The Indians won the game 31-21, with Anthony Maceo making three touchdowns throughout the entire game.

This was the first time in three years that the Indians have won their homecoming game, making this homecoming extra special for the senior football players, super fans, and everyone in between.

Valadez was very happy to be crowned as queen and could not be more thankful for the opportunity. Guerrero was thankful as well.

Guerrero said he is very happy and honored that his own teammates nominated him as Mr. Football. “It means a lot to me that these guys look up to me and believe that I deserve this.” Guerrero said.

At the end of the third quarter the Indians the Indians were leading 28-14.

Things got a little sticky going into the fourth quarter. Senior Stephen Szakacs nailed in a 26 yard kick, making the score 31-14. However, after that Chesterton reeled in a touchdown grab, making the score 31-21.

But the Indians weren’t letting Chesterton win that night. In the end of the fourth Maceo took a knee to run out the clock,making the Indians  2017 Homecoming winners.

The game ended with students rushing the field in excitement, parents screaming their sons and daughters name and, most importantly, cheering on Portage for their big win.

The night was filled with joy and excitement with the big win, the crowning of the homecoming court, the dance team’s performance, and the marching band’s performance, accompanied by the color guard.

The next game is Friday, September 29, at Michigan City High School, where the Indians will face the Michigan City Wolves.