• October 16Girls' cross country finishes fourth at regional; advances to semi-state

• October 16Boys' cross country finishes fifth at regional; advances to semi-state

• October 16Football falls to LaPorte, 36-33

The student news site of Portage High School

The Pow Wow

Tennis team accomplishes season goals

Sarah Russ, Staff Writer

As the boys tennis team is coming to the home stretch of their season we look back on their goals and overall season.

Bryce Kissinger, a junior on the varsity tennis team here at PHS spoke on their accomplishments so far.

“This season has been going great!” Kissinger said. “[I’ve] been going through a couple of injuries during the season but it’s been one to remember.”

Teamwork was the common answer for the team’s setbacks in the early season.

Thankfully the team powered through and now they’re a stronger group than before. The team always puts in 100% effort and most importantly, they all have fun while playing the sport.

“Our record could definitely be better but sectionals is what we are preparing for and [we] hope to get some hardware,” said Alex Bourge, a senior on the team.

Everyone on the team has a common goal, and that is to win sectionals and move onto regionals.

Bourge and Kissinger both had personal goals before the season and it is so far, so good for the duo.

Bourge said his main goal of the season is “…to get [a sectional title] under my belt before I leave and I have something awesome to remember.”

Kissinger’s goal was to improve his record to be at least over .500. His record is 16-4 so he has achieved it. Kissinger was also proud of the fact he beat Crown Point in his singles match.

Bourge added that he was proud of how his partner, Evan Gerike, and himself played in the sectional championship.

“I ended the season probably playing one of my best matches. The score may not say it but we’re also playing the number one doubles team in the area and we had them scared. They didn’t expect us to go out with that much intensity.”

The team has made several accomplishments this year from beating Lowell, to getting second place in the Highland Doubles invite including Portage, Highland, Wheeler, Lowell, Hobart, and Hanover Central.

The team finished the season with a record of 9-6, ending with a better record than last season.