• November 9Porter County Election results released

The Pow Wow

Skate Rink in Portage Re-Opens

Emily Extin, Staff Writer

Former hangout in Northwest Indiana was recently renovated and got a new look. R-Way, which was a popular skating rink for many different ages, is now known as Sk8 World.

Sk8 World opened in the old R-Way building on 3600 Scottsdale Street, on March 30th. Not only their opening night, but the following week had a big turnout.

“It was phenomenal. We didn’t expect a crowd that big.” Says owner of the new skating rink, Eli Peco.

The second weekend Sk8 World was up and running had the first weekends numbers beat. The lines to get in were long and took 45 minutes to an hour to get in and get skates. After the first few weekends long lines and waits, Sk8 World is opening up a second window for admission.

“We saw we were gonna have a lot of people coming through.” Peco says.

Some events you can expect from Sk8 World are jam skate, a freestyle skate with music, along with speed skate nights, which is for more advanced skaters. They plan on having B96 DJ’s, DJ Flipside, along with other new and upcoming DJ’s from local radio stations.

There are also new video games and a cafeteria that is “packed with one of the best pizza’s in the county.” Peco stated. All of the drawings around the building are fluorescent and with the help of black lights, everything lights up. The rink has popular music playing, which are synced up with the disco lights hanging over the rink.

Sk8 World is eventually going to host birthday parties in their black light party room.

Sk8 World’s hours are Sunday’s: 11 am to 10 pm, Monday’s and Tuesday’s: closed, Wednesday’s and Thursday’s: 5 pm to 10 pm, and Friday’s: 5 pm to 12 am.

Peco says their vision for Sk8 World is to be the number one spot for teens to go and hang out in Northwest Indiana, even if they are not skating.

“There’s not much for teens to do or go anywhere.”

Peco is very excited for the future of Sk8 World. It was a big hit for everyone, not only for skaters. Peco says he had teens that came in and did not skate, they just liked having a place to hang out with their friends.

About the Writer
Emily Extin, Copy Editor

Emily Extin is a sophomore at Portage High School. This is her first year on staff as a staff writer. In her free time, she likes to spend time with her...