Boys’ golf prepares for season

Kaylee Darnell, Design Editor

As Spring slowly starts to approach Portage, the boys golf team is eager to start their season. The team had a big change happen to them, before their season even started.

The team’s head coach, Coach Tim Kunstek, retired and their other coach, Coach
Phil Mulroe, stepped up and took the head position.

“Since he became dean of students he’s got too many responsibilities to do with school and wouldn’t have time to coach,” Ethan Ortiz, 12, said. “I was kind of bummed out [when Kunstek retired], because he had been my coach for three years and I wouldn’t have him there to support me during the senior season,” Ortiz added.

When the team’s season ended last year they had a meeting where they turned in their equipment, and Coach Mulroe announced to the team that Coach Kunstek would not be with them the next season, he also told the team that he would be taking on the roll of the head coach.

The teams first and so far only match was their home opener against Griffith High School at Robinhurst. The team beat Griffith 172-190. Brandon Blue, 12, shot a 38, Ethan Ortiz, 12, shot a 40, Trenton Haraminac, 12, shot a 45, and Jonathan Brasseur, 11, shot a 49.

“I think it’s a little too early to say [how this season is going to go] based off of just the one match. There’s a lot of room for improvement from everyone of us on the team. Overall, we did alright for our first match, but if we want to compete with some of the better teams in the DAC, then we are going to have to do better than a team 172,” Ortiz said.

“I think we’re going to do very well this year. We have guys shooting consistently better than before, and we have taken huge strides. Once we get to postseason we’ll be better than we were yesterday [their first match], and it should hopefully lead to a lot of success for the team,” Michael Bingham, 11, said.

The team is looking to improve more throughout the season, and plan to have a better overall record than last year.