The Pow Wow

After cold start, softball starts playing

Rebecca Rosado, Staff Writer

With the spring softball season off to a snowy and cold start the varsity team is finally getting able to play. With 5 cancellations this season the team has played 4 games with a score of 2-2  ( as of April 11th).

During this season a lot of the girls on the team have big goals. Returning Varsity player Serena Flanagan is one of those girls.

“This season I really want us to go far,” Flanagan said, “I want us to click more as a team.”

Flanagan says the reason for this is that there is more underclassmen than upperclassmen and she wants the dynamic to be on 10.

Flanagan has been playing softball for over 10 years, where she started at PJM (Portage Junior Miss). From there she went to travel ball at the age of 11, and now finally having her career take her to high school ball.

This year the varsity team consists of returning members Breanna Devine junior, Katie Ross senior, Alexis Switzer senior, Julianna Hall junior and Jackie Marquez sophomore. This is just a small part of the team.

Devine has been playing softball way before her high school career, much like Flanagan. This is her 2 year on Varsity as a catcher and like Flanagan has big goals for herself and the team.

Individually Devine says she always try to give her 100%, whether it’s at games or practices.

“Our goal as a team is to be a better team come May,” Devine said, “We have a goal to score 6-7 runs every game in order for us to be very successful.”

“The team has been focusing on fundamentals,” Flanagan said, “we all need to make sure our fundamentals are the same.”

The team has been preparing for the season by feilding more than hitting because the teams bats are looking good and going strong, according to Flanagan.

During the Crown Point game Devine said the team had a very strong start.

“We scored the most runs we’ve scored on them [Crown Point] in 4 years,” Devine said, “but we fell hard against Munster.”

With this the team is trying to improve and keep it up with good attitudes and keep doing things they haven’t done in years.

“The team prepared the season by being in the weight room daily and practicing 5 days a week,” Devine said.

Besides this Devine said that the team runs practices like it’s a game.

“We run our practices much like game situations, so we’re always one the move and doing things game speed,” Devine said.