• November 9Porter County Election results released

The Pow Wow

Baseball plans to bounce back from disappointing season

Jamie Valadez, Staff Writer

The varsity baseball team is entering the 2018 season with open minds and great attitudes. Coming back from a 12-16 record last season, the boys plan to work harder this season to turn their record around.

Senior and second year varsity player Kale Nelson wants the team to finish in the top half of the conference and also wants a sectional win.

“I want us to win. I want to win the conference, a sectional, but I also want to enjoy my senior year with all of my friends,” Nelson said. Senior and also another second year varsity player Kaleb Foster agrees with Nelson and wants to have lots of wins and hardware for Portage baseball.

Foster plays center field for the varsity baseball team, and is overall really excited about his senior year season. This is his second year playing varsity, and he has been looking forward to this season since last year’s sectional game.

“Ever since sectionals last year I’ve been wanting to get back out there and compete with other schools and just play some ball,” said Foster.

Foster and Nelson both think the boys will have a good season overall if they work hard at practice and perform their best at games.

“We have a lot of talented guys so we expect to win a lot of games this year,” said Nelson.

The boys compete in a tough conference, and Foster and Nelson both agree that they will have to go into big conference games prepared and at their best.

“The biggest roadblock will be playing good teams like Chesterton or Lake Central. We have to be at our best those days,” said Nelson.

Foster says the boys’ biggest roadblock this season as a team is that they are not really a power or home run hitting team.

“It didn’t really affect us that much last year, so as long as we put the ball in play we’ll be right where we need to be,” said Foster.

Along with the teams roadblocks, the team as a whole can agree that they are all ready to get out there and play all their scheduled games. The weather has been unpredictable so far this season and several of the games have been postponed until later.

Both Foster and Nelson are going to try and enjoy their last season as much as possible.

“My favorite part of high school baseball is the memories and relationships you make. At the end of the day whether you win or lose, you’ll always have the memories of playing with your friends and having fun,” said Nelson.

Foster encourages as many students and fans to come out and support this year because all of the boys plan on having a good season.