• November 9Porter County Election results released

The Pow Wow

Teacher in the Spotlight: Scott Krause

KwaTashea Marfo, Staff Writer

Some people may think biology is boring, but if you have a biology teacher like Scott Krause, it can be quite interesting.

Krause has been teaching at Portage High School for six years. In all his six years of teaching, he noticed that the assessments he gives benefits his students more than just taking a test.

“[My assessment] gives students opportunities to have alternative assessments rather than a large test,” said Krause. “I know a lot of students have test anxiety and they may know the material, but they end up doing poorly because of their anxiety. Having other [forms] of assessments is another way for them to show me their knowledge on the topic in a fun and creative way.”

Krause gives two assessments every nine weeks for a total of eight assessments throughout the year.

Giving assessments to his students is not the only way Krause help his students learn the criteria that is given.

Krause also make songs for his students to sing along and remember for any test or quiz that they may have in the future.

“I try to incorporate things with who I am with my work,” said Krause. “I have the ability to play the guitar; I enjoy playing the guitar and the music and lyrics helps my students to learn and retain knowledge much easier than just studying notes.”

Past and current students have come to Krause and said that the songs he created have helped them with test and quizzes.

“A student has come to me after a quiz or test and said ‘he only got this right is because he sang the song in his head and was able to figure out the answer’,” said Krause. “That’s why I do the songs; it’s a much better way to retain that information.”

Krause gets “internal inspiration” to make his songs for his students.

“I go outside and fiddle with the guitar,” said Krause. “Sometimes nothing comes to me, but I kinda improv a few things until I find something that sounds good. The difficulty is trying to make it a fun and entertaining song while incorporating content that’s not necessarily the most exciting.”

One day in the future, Krause hopes that other teachers will use his songs.

“One day when I get a lot better, I could actually produce something biology teachers could use if they desired to,” said Krause.

Some students have taken it upon themselves to follow Krause’s footsteps and make songs for their assessments.

“I’ve had a couple students a year that make songs as one of their assessments,” said Krause. “Songs are usually the most avoid because it not only takes musical talent, but it also takes creativity to try to take this content and make it into a song. On top of that, the hardest thing for most students is getting in front of the people and performing. But that I think is one of the things that students most need, to come out of their comfort zone and shell. Whether you crash or burn or do a great job, just being up there and getting out of your comfort zone is the first step to developing you as a public speaker.”

About the Writer
KwaTashea Marfo, Staff Writer

KwaTashea Marfo [pronounced Kwa•Ta•sha] is a sophomore at Portage High School, and this is her first year as one of several staff writers for Pow Wow....