• November 29Both Boys' and Girls' swim take down Merrillville

• November 29Girl's basketball takes down Hobart, 52-42

The Pow Wow

Girls’ basketball opens season with high hopes

Ryan Purnick, Staff Member

The Portage Indians varsity girls basketball started their season on Tuesday against Hanover Central.

The girls began with a tough loss to Hanover Central by a score of 59-51.  While the results were not what the hometown fans wanted, the gym was still packed with excitement to kick off the new season.

Portage was outscored in the first half 29-21 and could not come back in the second half.  Senior Bonnie Clancy led the scoring with 11 points, followed by junior Trolisia Lacey and sophomore Analise Franklin who both scored 10 points on the night.  

The varsity team is filled with relatively new, young faces this season as six starters graduated last year. A handful of the girls have moved up from the junior varsity position coming after winning their last 8 games of last years season.  The 2017-2018 junior varsity team finished with a 21-2 record, giving high hopes for this upcoming season.

This year Clancy, Lacey, and junior Kristen Cravens are expected to be the team leaders.  

Clancy has been playing basketball since she was four years old.  She has played at the varsity level all four years of her high school career.  As a team leader she helps the younger players adapt to games at the varsity level. As a player, she loves the energy that is brought to the home basketball games.  

“The atmosphere at Portage is one that is unique and completely different than any school we travel to,” Clancy said.

The varsity girls are currently in the middle of a seven game road trip.  They are 1-2 on the road this season, receiving their first win on Thursday against Griffith by a score of 65-38.  Their next home game is the first of December against Warsaw Community High School.

Junior Varsity has come out with a bang starting their season at 2-0.  They have scored over 100 points in the two games played while holding their opponents to 18 points each game.  They continue their 10 game win streak dating back to January of last season.

The Freshman team is also off to a great start winning their first game of the season at home against Kankakee Valley High School by a final score of 51-19.  They will look to stay out of the loss column as they open their Duneland Athletic Conference season at Crown Point High School against Crown Point on Thursday, November 8.

About the Writer
Ryan Purnick, Staff Member

Ryan Purnick is excited to spend his senior year on the Pow Wow staff. This will be his first year as a staff writer. When he is not working at Schepel...