That’s High School For Ya!

KwaTashea Marfo, Staff Writer

As a student in elementary and middle school, the dream of being a high schooler seemed adventurous, diverting, and important. Older family members would often times reminisce upon the “old days” of their high school career. Simply yearning for an opportunity to relive those days; the days where there were little to no responsibility to their name. However, they failed to tell us the most important thing about high school. The drastic fact that high school is time consuming and so difficult to manage that in the end, you will come out as an entirely different person.

Everyone has their own belief about high school; in most cases, people think that they will not change throughout high school. They believe that the person they were before high school will be the same person they are after high school with maybe a few minor adjustments. However, they are wrong.

High school is not a “prison” as most people would put it. High school is like an emotional and time-consuming game of Monopoly. For every step you take, there are consequences to your actions. Yet, many people still enjoy the game of Monopoly because it excites them and makes them curious to see what could occur next. Similarly, that is how high school is set up. High school consists of thousands of people and classes that students will interact with for the next four years of their secondary school career.

Along with attending classes and interacting with people comes a large amount of decisions students will have to decipher between. All decisions have consequences, but the important thing to note is how  the decisions will affect them in the long run. For example, students will receive homework in some of their classes. It is up to the student to complete the homework and turn it in the next day or they will receive a F for failing to complete the assignment.

But as a student it is expected to get homework. What’s not expected is for homework to pile up and numerous hours to be spent during each assignment carefully and correctly. Personally, there isn’t enough hours in a day for students to sleep, eat, go to school, do homework, study, and have time to relax. A majority of a student’s time is spent on school matters rather than their luxury time. And over time, students become stressed and lose sleep trying to do well in school.

This is a major problem for students because not only will they become stressed but they will soon take it out on others. It isn’t intentional; it’s because students are sleep deprived and they don’t know what to do with themselves. This most certainly explains why most students have invested so much money into energy drinks.

Not only is homework a problem, but class ranks are a problem as well. While most students get average grades, there are some who wish to be above average. So the students who wish to separate themselves from the average students take honors and AP classes. While these classes will look great on a college application, students are becoming overwhelmed with the amount of work they have pushed upon themselves. Class ranks are straining students from actually enjoying their high school experience because so many hours are spent on homework. Students become so dedicated and motivated to do well that they often times spend their weekends at home studying and doing homework to advance themselves in their high school career.

While spending all of their time studying and taking honors classes may seem like a good idea at the moment, students will miss the good high school experiences such as homecoming games, soccer games, dances, and pep rallies.  As noted in the beginning, our older family members failed to tell us about all the difficult decisions that come with high school. Should an individual stay home and study or go to their school’s homecoming game? The choice is truly up to them, but they should choose wisely. Afterall, it is just high school!