Marquez named class of 2020 DYW

Back to Article
Back to Article

Marquez named class of 2020 DYW

Tori Henderson, Editor-in-Chief

Junior Bella Marquez was named the class of 2020 Distinguished Young Woman at the annual competition on Saturday.

Marquez is also involved in the orchestra, choraliers, student council, thespians, natural helpers and National Honor Society at the high school. After she graduates she hopes to attend either Butler University or the University of Michigan to study music.

Marquez decided to participate in the Distinguished Young Women program because her sister and other PHS alumni she looks up to had such a positive experience with the program.

“It was such a loving experience for them,” she said. “I felt I hadn’t experienced that enough in high school.”

Participating in the program has helped Marquez gain confidence in herself and has helped her make many new friends. Although she enjoyed spending time on stage and expressing herself, meeting up with the other girls in the program for bonding and being able to be herself around them was her favorite part of the program.

“The whole program has helped me view aspects of myself in a new light and in a way I’ve never done before,” she said.

The other finalists in the program include Alyssa Mitchell—first runner up, Alyssa Cruz—second runner up, Tiffany Figueroa—third runner up, Lilliana Hassinger—fourth runner up, Mikayla Velazquez, Alyssa Covarrubias, Tinley Fasel, Laura Lopez-Vera and Katrina Partlow.

Click here to view more photos from the event.