Returning to PHS

Kylee Conley talks about her opinion on returning to the building for the second quarter

Kylee Conley, Social Media Editor

When I received the news that the school would soon be opened again, I was relieved, and then I became eager to hear the school’s plan.  Many questions were coming to mind. The biggest one summarized them all, “How are they going to make a safe but efficient plan for the return of over a thousand students?” With COVID on the rise, the pressure was in the school board’s hands, but I was not too sure if they would find a solution. 

When the plan changed from a hybrid schedule to going straight back to a full five days a week, my worry began to grow. From hearing how other schools were doing hybrid and still having cases, I was curious how PHS would form a plan that would make us different. 

The first day back to the building was interesting. There were many changes and multiple new rules to learn, but I soon started to have hope. Then the first case rolled in, and it began to chew away at the hope I had for their plan. It seemed like one case turned into everyone getting sick and having to quarantine all in the blink of an eye. 

Overall I think PHS as a whole did the best they could by: constantly sanitizing, social distancing, wearing masks, keeping track of students, etc. I think it was only a matter of when and not how especially with the number of students we had back at school. I also think we lasted as long as we did because we had positivity and hope throughout the halls of PHS. The staff and the students worked together to keep things positive. Even though we have returned to virtual and things may be difficult, just remember to keep placing one foot in front of the other. Stay positive, PHS.