• October 2Portage Township Schools is one to one through the whole district

• August 24Indians can't overcome strong first half from Michigan City, fall 49-14.

The Pow Wow

The story behind September 11, 2001

Osama bin Laden's reasoning explained

Lexy Young, Editor-in-Chief

An extremist Islamic terror group called Al Qaeda planned to hijack American commercial flights and wreak havoc on Americans. The Al Qaeda was led by Osama Bin Laden who was known for other terror attacks prior to 9/11.

In November of 2002, Osama Bin Laden released a letter in which he outlines why Al Qaeda made America a target. Bin Laden said that the attack on America was for Allah and for revenge.

Bin Laden and his supporters were angry that America supported Jewish people in the land of Palestine. Muslims once drove out any religion other than Islam from Palestine, and Bin Laden and his supporters wanted Palestine to remain that way claiming that it was “what Allah wanted.”

Bin Laden then moved on to say America made an alliance with the government of Palestine that humiliated Muslims when allowing Jewish people to reside in Palestine. Bin Laden also warned the American people that continued support of the Jewish religion would result in “more disasters.”

The Al Qaeda recognized that an attack on the Twin Towers would kill civilians not involved in the United States government, but according to Bin Laden, any American who paid taxes was guilty of ruining his homeland of Palestine.

“Therefore, the American people are the ones who choose their government by way of their own free will; a choice which stems from their agreement to its policies,” Bin Laden wrote. “Thus the American people have chosen, consented to, and affirmed their support for the Israeli oppression of the Palestinians, the occupation and usurpation of their land, and its continuous killing, torture, punishment and expulsion of the Palestinians. The American people have the ability and choice to refuse the policies of their Government and even to change it if they want. The American people are the ones who pay the taxes which fund the planes that bomb us in Afghanistan, the tanks that strike and destroy our homes in Palestine, the armies which occupy our lands in the Arabian Gulf, and the fleets which ensure the blockade of Iraq. These tax dollars are given to Israel for it to continue to attack us and penetrate our lands. So the American people are the ones who fund the attacks against us, and they are the ones who oversee the expenditure of these monies in the way they wish, through their elected candidates.”

Al Qaeda’s goal was to call western civilization to the religion of Islam. Bin Laden called America the “worst civilization in the history of mankind,” and explained that having freedom of religion and a separation of church and state is what makes America so “awful” and, therefore, the attacks on September 11, 2001 were to serve as a wakeup call to all Americans that Islam is the religion that should be worshipped.

President George Bush was President of the United States of America during the attack on September 11, 2001.

A week after the attack, Bush found it important for all Americans to understand that the Al Qaeda’s beliefs did not speak for all of the Islam religion and spoke to America from the Islamic Center of Washington D.C.

“These acts of violence against innocents violate the fundamental tenets of the Islamic faith, and it’s important for my fellow Americans to understand that,” Bush said.

Bin Laden said that America’s corruption was a reason to attack as he said that Bill Clinton deserved to have a more severe punishment for his affair while in office and Bin Laden claimed that America “boasted about the invention of AIDS.

“What we call you to thirdly is to take an honest stance with yourselves – and I doubt you will do so – to discover that you are a nation without principles or manners, and that the values and principles to you are something which you merely demand from others, not that which you yourself must adhere to,” Bin Laden wrote.