• November 29Both Boys' and Girls' swim take down Merrillville

• November 29Girl's basketball takes down Hobart, 52-42

The Pow Wow

Blue and Black Lives Matter

Jaden Amos and Lexy Young

Everyday I have a fear that my dad, a police officer, may not come home due to cops being killed in the line of duty and in protests.

Everyday I fear that I may not return home due to wrongly being killed during a routine stop or a protest.

Nobody deserves to live in fear.

It is hard for me to imagine that people feel that others deserve to die because of what they do for a living.

It is hard for me to imagine that people feel that others deserve to die because of the color of their skin.

Intolerance is not an excuse for murder.

Not all police officers abuse their power.

Not all black people are criminals.

Stereotypes are false generalizations.

There are stories of cops being racist and not treating a suspect fairly in which their poor decisions lead to disastrous effects. They are not fair representations of what a police officer stands for. They are cowards. Real police officers vow to protect everyone and they mean EVERYONE.

There are stories of black people killing and harming police officers because they assume all police officers are racist. These are not fair representations of people who support, Black Lives Matter. These people are cowards. True Black Lives Matter supporters do not believe in killing anyone.

There are stories of innocent police officers being killed because of a prejudice held against them.

There are stories of innocent men and women being killed because of a prejudice held against them.

With the way news can spread quickly due to social media and the internet, often times stories may spread with miscued information, such as by claiming that a suspect was not armed when it later comes out through official news sources, that a police officer was in fact, in danger because the suspect actually did have a deadly weapon. When people hear that an unfair case occurred, they become (rightfully) enraged; when they hear later that perhaps the correct precautions were taken, they become confused and do not know what story to believe. This confusion forces society to take sides and a divided America is dangerous.

With the way news can spread quickly due to social media and the internet, often times stories may spread with miscued information, such as showing a mugshot instead of a photo of the slain person. People quickly start rumors about the person who was killed by saying things like they were a danger, when they were not. When people see that the person was a criminal, they become (rightfully) enraged; when they hear later that perhaps the mugshot was from a petty crime, they become confused and do not know what story to believe- is he a danger or not? This confusion forces society to take sides and a divided America is dangerous.

Many Americans associate anybody who supports police as an intolerant racist human being.

There’s currently this idea in America that in order to be pro-black you must be anti-cop.

These ways of thinking are not true and are truly just unfair. America does not have to be divided in this way. We support everyone regardless of their race or occupation so long as they are good people. If American society were to focus on accepting others rather than focusing on inaccurate stereotypes, this society improve drastically.