The Pow Wow

Teacher in the Spotlight: Maria Gross

Becca Rosado, Staff Writer

World language teacher Maria Gross’ deep love for the German language and culture is what inspired her to become a teacher.
This Gross’ first year teacher at Portage High School and sixth year of being a German teacher. Before coming to Portage, Gross taught at Hammond’s Morton High School for two years.
Gross has always been around the German language. Her dad is from German so she always heard it.
Not only has Gross grown up around the German language but she spent two years studying abroad in the city Hanover.
Gross spent her year and a summer studying abroad at Gymnasium. Which is a college preparation program.
During her time at the gymnasium she was on the swim team, and participated in an intensive language trainer camp.
She also visits Germany as often as she can. When she visits on her own she normally visits Berlin, the southern side of Germany and many more places.
Gross enjoys visiting Germany not only because she spent a full year there but because she has family there.
While in Germany, Gross decided that since she loves learning and the German language that she’d want to become a German teacher.
“I’m very excited to start German Club and be in charge of it,” Gross said. “I’m excited about teaching the students new things; I love when they finally get something, it makes me smile.”
Gross said that she loves it at Portage so far and can’t wait to see what the year holds.
Students who are interested in taking German are encouraged to sign up.
“German is lots of fun and a great way to learn something new about a new culture,” Gross said.
German Club’s first meeting was Tuesday, September 20th directly after school. Students do not need to be in German to be able to join.