• October 16Girls' cross country finishes fourth at regional; advances to semi-state

• October 16Boys' cross country finishes fifth at regional; advances to semi-state

• October 16Football falls to LaPorte, 36-33

The student news site of Portage High School

The Pow Wow

Portage High School Music Department Performs for 5th Graders

Becca Rosado, Staff Writer

Central, Myers,  Aylesworth oh my! On Thursday January 26, 2017 these three schools, along with the rest of the elementary schools in the Portage Township School district, had an amazing opportunity. The Portage High School music department hosted a day where incoming sixth graders were able to veiw the music department play and/or sing. This gives the students the ability to choose if they would like to join a choir, band, or orchestra.

Bill Timerman, the head of the music department, said that he loves having the students perform for the younger kids. “It’s a great joy to see all the kids faces light up, it really makes me and the other members of the music department happy.”

Along with Timerman Mrs. Carlson, the orchestra teacher, said that hopefully when the elementary schoolers see these students play that they get inspired.

Since the elementary schoolers will not be in high school for another three years the Fegely and Willowcreek music department teachers attend the concert. This allows the students to see who could possibly be their upcoming music teachers in the next three years.

Timerman said that the band, choir, and orchestra try to play new-upbeat songs so that the students are engaged in what they are hearing. Some featured songs at thurdays concert were; the Star Wars theme song along with Darth Vadors theme song, and two songs from the 2013 disney film Frozen.

“We try to perform songs that students will enjoy listening too and even dance and  sing too” ,Timerman said. Senior Antonio Chapa says that he really does enjoy playing for the students. “We really need more people to sign bu to be apart of the band, and hopefully by performing for the students makes them want to do just that.” Chapa is one of the drummers for the band department.

Timerman strongly encourages students to take part in the music department. “It’s not only a great way to meet new people but it’s a way to become apart of a family.”