• October 16Girls' cross country finishes fourth at regional; advances to semi-state

• October 16Boys' cross country finishes fifth at regional; advances to semi-state

• October 16Football falls to LaPorte, 36-33

The student news site of Portage High School

The Pow Wow

Last Home Basketball Game of the Season

Becca Rosado, Staff Writer

“We love our seniors!” was the phrase of the night at the Portage High School east gym. February 21, 2017, was not only the last home basketball game of the season, but also the varsity dance and cheer.

With the super fan section packed and filled with students and family members of the varsity players; the Indians won 56-45 against Lake Station, with the Indians leading throughout the entire game.

Senior Stevie Lush was sad to see his last home game of his high school career come to an end but said he went out with a bang. Lush not only won his last home game but he and five other players scored off the count. Lush along with four of his fellow teamates asked five lucky girls to prom tonight by handing them a basketball that had the word, “Prom” written on it.

Senior Becca Wiremen was also sad to see her last home game as a PHS cheerleader come to an end. She has been on the cheer team for four year and says it was a very sad but happy time.

“It was kind of surreal at first, because it didn’t feel like my own senior night but once I hit that gym floor the tears just started coming,” Wireman said.

“Having my friends and teammates here to support me was the best part, one of my friends even made me a sign with my head on it to that was pretty cool to have,” Wireman said

Wireman and two of the other senior cheerleaders celebrated  their senior night by receiving flowers from their parents and letter read to the crowd from choosen team members. Along with being able to be flyers for stunts.

Head super fan leader and senior Shayne Devine said that his favorite part of senior night was being able to watch the people her grew up with play for the last time and seeing them win.  “It’s sad that this is the last home game but it is one of those things everybody goes through, and it’s a good kind of sad but I know I’ll never be able to forget this for as long as I live,” Devine said.

Devine went on to say that he believe the class of 2017 was the best class and hopes that other class below him will be able to make memories like he did.

The Indians now have an overall record of 8-15. The boys’ next game is Friday February 24, 2017, at 7 pm in Hammond vs. Hammond Morton High School.