The student news site of Portage High School

The Pow Wow

Herbert named as new Assistant Principal

Jaden Amos, Managing Editor

Portage High School students have been seeing a fresh face around the halls. This fresh face is Dave Herbert, a new Assistant Principal who is focusing on the senior class. Herbert came to the high school after spending nearly a year and a half at Fegely Middle School.

Principal Max Gill did not specify why he decided to have Hebert to come the high school and send former Assistant Principal Rhonda Pool to Fegely, but he did say that he believes Herbert would be a good fit here.

“We wanted someone who had good experience,” Gill said, “I taught with Mr. Herbert for years at Merrillville. I knew he has good relationships with student from working with him. I knew we needed him here because seniors are a tough gig. A lot of them don’t know what they want to do with their lives so they try to fail classes, so you have to become friends with them. You need to build trust with them.”

Before taking a job as an administrator in Portage Township School System, Hebert worked at Merrillville High School where he taught Government and Economics. He has been working in education for nearly 25 years.

Herbert says it was not his decision to move to Portage, but he is excited to be working here.

“I came here because I was told to, but I am excited to be here,” Herbert said. “It’s something new. I mean I did teach high school. It’s a new job and a new challenge and I have new responsibilities.”

Hebert believes the biggest difference between high school and middle school students is the level of friendliness in the students.

With Herbert moving to Portage to be an administrator, he leaves behind two positions at Fegely.

Along with being the Dean of Students, he was also the Athletic Director. While Pool will take over the position of Dean of Students, the role of Athletic Director at Fegely will not be filled, according to Gill. Some principals at Fegely are helping  out and the high school athletic department will take control of anything else that is needed.